What Is Website Spoofing? #AAH
Creation of a replica of a trusted site with the intention of misleading visitors to a phishing site. Legitimate logos, fonts, colors and functionality are used to make the spoofed site look realistic.
This is how cyber criminals capture your data or drop malware onto your computer.
Here are a few important safety tips to stay safe from fake websites while shopping this festive season:
- Ignore and delete anything you’re not anticipating
- Be wary of strange attachments
- Legitimate companies will have multiple ways to contact you in the event they need to reach you
- Stop panic responding to “urgent” messages
- Hover over any links before you click to verify the URL. If you do click, confirm the URL after the page loads to ensure you weren’t redirected. Stick to sites that use HTTPS encryption.
- Look at the address bar – a spoofed website is unlikely to be secured. To check, the URL should start with https:// rather than http:// – the “s” stands for “secure,” and there should be a lock symbol in the address bar too. This means that the site has an up-to-date security certificate. If a site does not have this, it doesn’t necessarily mean it has been spoofed – look out for additional signs as well.
- Try a password manager – software used to autofill login credentials does not work on spoofed websites. If the software doesn’t automatically complete the password and username fields, it could indicate that the website is spoofed.
- Call or go directly to the trusted domain to inquire
- Use strong antivirus protection
REPORT SUCH A WEBSITE!!
Please watch this video for comprehensive safety tips.
Stay Aware, Stay Safe
Jai Hind, Jai Bharat!
PS- We have compiled above written data with references from different content sites as well.
ABOUT ‘AKANCHA AGAINST HARASSMENT’
‘Akancha Against Harassment’ is India’s largest social impact initiative against cyber harassment. It was founded by Miss Akancha Srivastava in February 2017. It’s a not-for-profit Section 8 organization.
Honorary Board of advisors
Foundation’s advisory board hosts – Former Special DGP RK Vij (Chattisgarh), ADG Navniet Sekera (Uttar Pradesh), ADG Krishna Prakash (Maharashtra), Dr Poonam Verma (Principal- SSCBS, Delhi University)
Goals of this initiative
The initiative aims at Education, Empowerment & Bridging of general population with the authorities.
Support of the Indian Police for the initiative
Bridging is the most unique attribute of the initiative. We have a host of over 70+ senior police officers from across the country supporting us in content & awareness drive.
This unique strength helps us address any victim complaints that come to us as well as inform people about various measures of law enforcement across the country.
Multilingual AI Chat helpline for cyber safety
We run India’s only private national multilingual AI chat helpline for cyber safety. This helpline is currently available in Hindi & English on our website. It can be accessed from any internet enabled device. You can chat here anonymously, fearlessly.