Stop Posting Too Many Children’s Pictures On Social Media! #AAH
Parents today are obsessed with sharing children’s pictures on social media.
So many parents are putting videos making children do some obscene moves on Bollywood songs, not suitable for their age. It seems that often parents are doing it for their own validation.
Dear parents, do you not know your child is cute, talented or worthy? You need strangers to tell you that?
Let’s talk about a few things that can happen if you post these continuous pictures of children:
- Your post can lead to bullying. Kids can get bullied by their classmates, online bullying, they don’t deserve it
- In fact your social media posts can impact your child’s future. Google algorithms & digital footprints are unforgiving. Parents need to think about how potential employers may react to finding certain sensitive childhood moments on social media.
- Risk for Digital Kidnapping- Digital kidnapping is a type of identity theft. It occurs when someone takes photos of a child from social media and repurposes them with new names and identities, often claiming the child as their own. Baby role players create accounts on social media sites to post stolen photos along with captions that give false details about the child in the photos. Sometimes the stranger impersonates the childby responding to comments as the child or from the child’s point-of-view. There are pornographic sites of children are pictures of real kids that are taken offline and photoshopped or otherwise retouched. – Referenced from Google
Reminder- “Any time a picture is shared digitally on social media, you should assume that it could get out of your control,”
- You might be addicting your child to social media!! They may want to take more pictures, see more “likes”! They are impressionable.
- 4- Now let’s talk about super serious consequences. We are unaware of online watchers/ predators. There are people with criminal tendencies as well. You don’t know who takes fancy to your child. When you share which school they go to, name, age, play group, buddies- assaulting, kidnapping is not difficult!
5- There are stories on unbelievable cruelty on children including murders when the information about them was put online
- Put occasionally
- Don’t share patterns- school etc
- Especially be mindful of baby pictures, they are helpless, they are vulnerable
Ofcourse teach kids critical thinking so that they are not sweet talked aby anyone
Stay strong, stay aware, stay safe. Please mask up.
ABOUT ‘AKANCHA AGAINST HARASSMENT’
‘Akancha Against Harassment’ is India’s largest social impact initiative against cyber harassment. It was founded by Miss Akancha Srivastava in February 2017. Its a not-for-profit Section 8 organization.
Honorary Board of advisors
Foundation’s advisory board hosts – Vijay Shekhar Sharma (Founder & CEO- Paytm), ADG Navniet Sekera (Uttar Pradesh), Commissioner Krishna Prakash (Maharashtra), Dr Poonam Verma (Principal- SSCBS, Delhi University)
Goals of this initiative
The initiative aims at Education, Empowerment & Bridging of general population with the authorities.
Support of the Indian Police for the initiative
Bridging is the most unique attribute of the initiative. We have a host of over 65+ senior police officers from across the country supporting us in content & awareness drive.
This unique strength helps us address any victim complaints that come to us as well as inform people about various measures of law enforcement across the country.
Multilingual AI Chat helpline for cyber safety
We run India’s only private national multilingual AI chat helpline for cyber safety. This helpline is currently available in Hindi & English on our website. It can be accessed from any internet enabled device. You can chat here anonymously, fearlessly.
Stay Aware, Stay Safe.