Fabulous Fake Lives Of Instagram! #AAH
This topic is especially relevant since it’s the time of festivals, family, holidays and travel. We open any social media and there are pictures- gorgeous, perfect, shiny, glam photos of parties, people, make up, jewelry, food, yachts, flights, luxury, children, pets- oh so happy, isn’t it?!
Sometimes you begin to doubt if you are the only one having challenges in your life, it’s depressing to think that you might in fact be inadequate, not a performer, underachiever, or that you aren’t good looking like others, not married, there’s no end to these downward spiraling thoughts, where does it stop??
Please know that majority of these perfect looking lives are anything but perfect. Nobody posts their domestic unhappiness, failures or sadness. Couples biting each other’s heads off post pictures like they are soulmates, next week we know they are divorced or if you remember the case of a very successful model who posted a glamorous happy picture and found dead by suicide 24 hours later!
Social media is a carousel of perfectly fake lives. Platforms like Instagram are built to trigger our insecurities as if we are behind in some manner. Be careful. You only know what is being projected not the real struggles, challenges of real people. I know of so many entrepreneurs who are going through so much sadness, isolation but on social media- they are all about long blogs on motivation, happy parties.
It’s like a one-way mirror, you can’t see what’s not shown.
You can watch, admire, appreciate the beauty on social media but please don’t be fooled into thinking that every life is perfect except yours. Especially around festivals and holidays it can trigger a lot of sadness.
Few simple tips that can be helpful:
- Restrict your time on social media- how much is too much? An hour, two?
- Mute any words that trigger anxiety, if you have suffered any personal loss or have memories attached to particular times- go ahead mute the words or even such handles
- Don’t forget to exercise every day, even if it’s a walk or standing up while working. We often underestimate the benefits of it.
- Get some sun, even 15/20 minutes is an instant mood lifter
- Keep it real. Count your blessings every single day. Write down 3 things that you are thankful for, as simple as a good cup of tea or even waking up!
- Writing helps pour emotions out. Instead of reaching out to your phone or social media first thing in the morning, try thanking and thinking of things you are grateful for
- Ask for help. None of us make it on our own. There’s a reason we are social beings, we are meant to live with each other. Lean on someone you trust.
You are wonderful the way you are, you are amazing, you matter! Don’t be fooled by these perfectly fake lives!
Please do watch the video for detailed safety tips.
Stay Aware, Stay Safe. Stay happy!
Jai Hind, Jai Bharat!
ABOUT ‘AKANCHA AGAINST HARASSMENT’
‘Akancha Against Harassment’ is India’s largest social impact initiative against cyber harassment. It was founded by Miss Akancha Srivastava in February 2017. Its a not-for-profit Section 8 organization.
Honorary Board of advisors
Foundation’s advisory board hosts – Former Special DGP RK Vij (Chattisgarh), ADG Navniet Sekera (Uttar Pradesh), Special IG Krishna Prakash (Maharashtra), Dr Poonam Verma (Principal- SSCBS, Delhi University)
Goals of this initiative
The initiative aims at Education, Empowerment & Bridging of general population with the authorities.
Support of the Indian Police for the initiative
Bridging is the most unique attribute of the initiative. We have a host of over 65+ senior police officers from across the country supporting us in content & awareness drive.
This unique strength helps us address any victim complaints that come to us as well as inform people about various measures of law enforcement across the country.
Multilingual AI Chat helpline for cyber safety
We run India’s only private national multilingual AI chat helpline for cyber safety. This helpline is currently available in Hindi & English on our website. It can be accessed from any internet enabled device. You can chat here anonymously, fearlessly.
Stay Aware, Stay Safe.